Monday, March 21, 2011

I'm Removing the Superfluous Colors


We all know George Banks and his frustration as an American consumer....


Old George. He is onto something. Here is my relatable displeasure with marketing companies....
It's a tad different then hot dog buns, but i'm pretty sure I have a point here. If not, just humor me. It makes a lot of sense in my head.
So the movie How to Train your Dragon, its a hit in the childrens world.  Funny enough, i'm not even a fan of the movie. But this really gets me.

So first, what color is he???

Is he blue?
Is he black?


And this guy....
Is he green?
orange??
or blue?

Who the heck really knows anymore.
You see, here is the problem. 
Big shots over at the plastic dragon making companies, book companies, and film industries, they all get together with each other, and decide to rip off the American public. They think they can just switch up the colors of these dragons whenver they want. So the consumer, slash the consumers child with a very convincing reason as to why they need yet another dragon, will be sucked into buying it. These kids they go to the store and they think well heck, i've got to have the orange zippleback, the blue zippleback, AND the green zippleback.

Why you ask, do I have such a concern for this when I myself don't even like the movie, let alone play with dragons? 
 A) As it turns out, I do play with dragons. I have this friend, and we play with dragons all the time. And i'm sick of explaining to him why the same dragon is different colors. I'm sick of saying, "Yes your blue toy Night Fury, is in fact the same character as the black Night Fury in the book." I'm sick of explaining it, because THERE IS NO EXPLANATION.
 B) One day, (in the VERY distant future i'm sure) I will be one of these mothers buying my children 12 of the same dragon because they need all versions of it.
C) This problem spreads across a variety of marketing areas. From hot dog buns to dragons. 
They're all trying to scam us! 

No comments: